Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Tues, July 29, 2008

"So technically I will have been in the MTC for 3 weeks by this Wednesday but the MTC considers this the 4th week (because they consider the first 3 days here to be the 1st week)."

"Everything is still going really well overall. I realized that I really needed new scripture because the ones I came with I have had since I was 8 and they're already falling apart. I didn't want to totally destroy them on my mission. I bought new ones here at the MTC bookstore. I figured that was the best place to get them because we get 60% off and we have free engravings. I got pretty much the same ones I use to have except navy blue this time and they're silver around the sides. They are really nice, I like them a lot. I'll have to take a picture of them."

"I am planning on printing out pictures today, but I'm probably not going to be able to send them until next P-day."

"So one of my roommates is from College Station, TX so he has told me a little about Houston. Apparently the humidity makes it really cold in winter. I really didn't think it would be cold at all because the average temperatures in winter are like in the lower 60's. I guess they don't take humidity into account when they take those averages. So I might need that trench coat after all, I'll have to play it by ear and ask my mission pres what he thinks. I know it does rain a lot and there are apparently huuuge thunder storms. I really excited for that. I want to experience one hurricane before I leave too."

"Thanks so much for getting that bike Mom, you're the best. I also don't think I thanked you enough for helping me with all my packing and helping me get ready to go. I think I was actually pretty stressed out inside and I was definitely FULL of anxiety. I just wanted to get started already and get rid of all that anxiety, but until then my mind was pretty preoccupied and I think I felt pretty uptight. So thanks for that. And for taking care of everything else you do. I realize how blessed I am to be in the family that I'm in...we are really an amazing family."

"I know I already said it but Dad, I really appreciated your letter too. I know it must have been pretty tough to be home alone for so long after having to say goodbye. I don't think I've ever told you, but whenever anybody asks me who my hero is, I always say my Dad. I always have about 5 million reasons why that is. I appreciate so much that you do and all the life lessons you have taught me, whether you actually physically taught me something, or just taught me by example. I'm pretty sure I've got the best parents out there. I also love all my brothers and of course my sister. I remember being at home this summer when everyone was in school, one of my favorite parts of the day was when everyone would get home from school. I love always having my siblings around me. Christopher and Steven have especially been really helpful and supportive to me these last few years as I have been moving on and going to BYU and preparing for my mission. One of my regrets about my first year at BYU was that I wish I had at least stopped over and visited a LOT more. But that's the thing about mistakes, you only have to experience them once, then you learn from them and change so you wont have to experience them again."

"I think another thing I've realized is how much I really like music/hymns. My first devotional here we sang Army of Helaman and Called to Serve. Those were some of my most memorable experiences here. Last week we sang Come Come Ye Saints. The last first really stood out to me; I've never really paid attention to the words before, but they are really inspiring. The second counselor in my Branch Presidency is named Michael Ohman and he has played the organ in the Tabernacle and for a lot of general conferences. He plays for a lot of our devotionals too, he is reeeally good. That's half of what makes the songs so good. The organists always add in all this fancy stuff to make it sound more amazing in the last verse and it really creates a lot of energy. It's a really amazing experience to hear a massive room full of missionaries singing these songs."

"I played 4-square for the first time yesterday. There was some super nerdy MTC 4-square guru who supposedly knew every rule and got super mad anytime anyone did anything wrong. He always got mad about everything, it made me laugh. I purposefully got him out every time. I ruled in the serving square, also called the King square, for like 20+ serves one time. Ever since they have given me the nick name Elder King Cole. It was pretty funny."

"I love you all",
Chase

No comments: