Saturday, July 19, 2008

Sat July 19th - LETTER

Chase wrote on his 1st P-day, Tues, the 15th.

He was happy to have a day to do catch-up and relax a bit. He has enjoyed the devotionals and meetings. They have been motivational and interesting. They watched a video called "The District". Cameras followed 3 different sets of missionaries in Texas. It showed them teaching, planning and pretty much everything. They watched the investigators progressing.

On Sunday Chase went to 6 meetings and they counted how many prayers they said....24 in that day.

"I think this time was the best for saying good-bye. the fastest ones are always the best. I felt really good and calm after saying goodbye to all my brothers. I walked down that hallway and I felt so ready to start working. A lot of anxiety had been building up inside me that last week before my mission. I just wanted to go already. So when I was finally by myself at the MTC I knew my mission had finally begun and all that anxiety left and I felt so good."

"They did make me watch that blasted orientation movie though. All of the Elders who were alone sat together so we just talked to each other and made friends. As soon as that movie ended we left and went right to our rooms. It felt really good knowing I already said my good-byes and I knew after that movie ended I wouldn't have to endure some torturous good bye."

His companion is Elder Hickman. "He is from Northern CA. He is a pretty neat guy. He knows a lot about the gospel and he is a very loving person. He is really nice to every person we talk to."

Chase is in the Intermediate Spanish class.

Once again he talked about his food and how he likes it. He drinks Guava Passion fruit every meal.

"One of our teachers has spoken about 90% Spanish since day 1 and our other teacher is easing us into using Spanish. We are learning how to teach all the lessons in English first, then by week 4 we are going to be doing everything in Spanish. We've learned to pray and bear our testimonies in Spanish so far. We say all our prayers and sing our hymns in Spanish".

For gym, Chase has played Frisbee, soccer and gone running. He really enjoyed the running. He ran about 4 miles in 43 minutes. He enjoyed the slower, even pace.

Chase has 2 Sisters in his district, one who is not afraid to speak her mind. One that gets very easily offended. (What a pair!) The first time Sister-Speaks-her-Mind came into class she got mad at them (the Elders) for NOT standing up when she entered the room! Every time she got up, for any reason, at any time, she told us we needed to stand up for her. It got pretty ridiculous when they had to stand up 4 times during lunch! Chase spoke to his Branch President about this and he explained to him and the Sister, it is only necessary to stand up the first time she enters a room.

RULES: Chase cannot refer to Elders as guys i.e.; "Can I help you guys?", or "You guys are awesome!" They must always be referred to as Elders. They must also always have their suit coats buttoned up when they are standing.

"You can always feel the Spirit here. Miracles happen daily here. So many of us feel the gift of tongues so strongly so often. I am learning so much so fast I can't believe at the end of the day that I could learn that much in a day."

No comments: