Monday, May 17, 2010

Received Mon, May 17, 2010

Dear Family,

Happy Birthday on Wednesday Kylie!!! It sounds like you're going to have a pretty good party. I love ice cream cake. And molten lava cakes. I hope you have a good party.

The weeks have definitely been flying by here too. We are already about to start week 5 of the transfer. We've had a lot of good things happen this week though. We taught the Mendez family again, which is the family I wrote about last week where the husband was pretty mad at first to see us again. This time the wife was awake so we got him to go invite her. He said she would never come and listen, but we told him to go try any way, and he did and she came and joined us. We taught him, his wife, and his brother. It was a pretty good lesson. We left them with Books of Mormon and gave them part of King Benjamin's speech to read. We're going back tomorrow.

We found a lot of other new people to teach this week too. I think we got 6 new investigators. We have been trying something where instead of just trying to set up return appointments, we ask people if we can teach them right then. Surprisingly a couple people of week say yes and that is how we've been finding a lot of new people. Here are two cool stories. The first one is that last Monday at the end of our P-day, we were riding our bikes down Westheimer, which is the big, very busy, main street that runs through our area, and I saw this Hispanic guy riding his bike across the street with some groceries. I started talking to him, then I asked him if he lived in the apartments that were down the street a little bit, he said yes. So I asked him if we could come back to him apartment with him and share an important message with him. He surprisingly said yes. My companion couldn't hear much of what was going on because of all the traffic and everything and when he saw me get off my bike, he was like, what are we doing? I told him we were going back to this guy's apartment to teach him, so we did. His two roommates were drunk, so he didn't want us to go in, so we taught him on some benches in the courtyard of the apartment complex. It was a really good lesson, and my companion extended his first Spanish baptismal date, and he accepted. It was pretty awesome.

The second story is that we were riding our bikes down Westheimer again and we stopped to talk to a couple of people at the bus stop. As soon as I started to talk to this guy I saw the bus coming down the road, so I gave him a card and told him we have a really important message we need to share with him, and to call the number so missionaries can come by and share it to him. He asked if I could just tell it to him there. I told him its not a message you can just share in a couple of seconds, and that his bus was there and we didn't want him to miss his bus. He said..."Nah its cool man, I can just catch another bus. I want to hear your message." So we sat down on the grass on the corner of this busy road and taught this guy. He was really really open to it and we extended a baptismal date to him too. We gave him as a referral to this English Elders, so they are teaching him now. It was a pretty cool experience.

So those were some of our good experience of the week. On a funnier note, we talk to Lars (the guy we live with) most nights when we get home and as you can imagine, he is a pretty interesting guy. Being single at the age of 40, you have a lot of free time on your hands. He is waaay into studying about the end of the world and dissecting the book of Revelation in the Bible. He is pretty sure he's got in all figured out. The second coming will be in 2037, and all the big signs you read about in Revelation will start coming to pass after the year 2017. He is really serious about this stuff, so he has been preparing with food storage and all sorts of crazy things. Some of the things hes got are 500 lbs of wheat, 50 lbs of baking soda, he is building a massive water storage holder (like thousands of gallons), he's building an electromagnetic generator to produce electricity, and his newest project which I just learned about this week is that he wants to start raising chickens. The only problem is that it is against some city code to have chickens, so he is going to do it upstairs in his attic. He bought 3 fertilized chicken eggs, which should be arriving any time, and he's got this chicken egg incubator, which probably came off the internet too. When he was describing this whole thing, I kept thinking of that scene in Napoleon Dynamite where they try to buy a time machine off the internet and they've got these crystals and everything. I told him that's what it reminded me of and he just laughed. We'll see what happens with that. It is all good entertainment, that is for sure.

That is exciting that Zak is getting his Eagle project done. Has he gotten all the merit badges he needs? I remember I had to go to camp trask to finish off a couple. Does that old man who lives up the street still do all the eagle scout interviews? That would blow my mind if that guy is still alive. He used to always ask the same questions. It was about like...hypoxia?/altitude sickness, hypothermia, and something else.

Today for our morning exercise, Elder Johnson and I decided to run to McDonalds which is around the corner and eat some breakfast. It was good. Running is not that easy when you haven't run for 2 years though. It wasn't too bad though...I think the bikes have helped out with that.

Before I forget, I've got one last thing. I've got only 2 pairs of contacts left, so if I keep both of them in for a month each, I will barely make it, but I'll be pushing it. Is there any way I can get 1 more pair sent to me? I'm pretty sure my prescription is for -1.75 in both eyes, which is probably going to need to be readjusted when I get back. I've got the nigh & day brand.

Ok, I think that's about all for this week. I love you all and hope you have a good week!!!

Love,
Chase

No comments: