Sunday, October 25, 2009

Received Mon Oct 12, 2009

Dear Family,

This week all the computers in our library were full except for the computers in the kids section, so me and my companion are here sitting on little tiny chairs and my legs can barely fit under the table…it is probably a funny sight.

That was an exciting e-mail! Congratulations to Steven…I thought that was a creative/cool engagement story. My question is, how did you do it? Did you somehow figure out how to edit a movie, and insert a little movie of yourself, and just time it perfectly so that it would all work out? And how did you choose the Mount Timpanogus temple?

The Griffin story made me laugh as usual. When I was in primary I wondered why my name was part of the 13th article of faith too.

Fantasy Football: I think it is funny how random all our fantasy football seasons have been…you never know who is going to have the best team. So what is everyone’s record right now?

I am excited for Christopher that he gets to come to Houston for an interview. I’m sure he wont get to see much of the city, but I bet it will still be fun. I don’t think I could ever live in a big city. It seems like there's cars whizzing by all around you and there are freeways going everywhere and the people drive crazy here. We hear/see car accidents all the time and people jaywalk all over the place and they get hit pretty frequently too…it is pretty crazy here. This is definitely my favorite place to be when it comes to being a missionary though.

Ok, now on to my list of things to write about. First, I got a letter from someone in my BYU ward…well their parents (the Burtons) actually and they are putting together a Christmas gift for our bishop there. They want all the missionaries to send them 2 pictures from their mission. 1 unique picture that shows something unique about their mission, and 1 picture that depicts missionary work. Well unfortunately I accidentally washed my flash drive, so I don’t have any pictures on there to look at, but (hopefully) all of my pictures are on Mom’s computer. I was thinking that for the 1 unique picture, I could send that one picture of me and Elder Pedersen standing on the seawall with the ocean in the background. Then for the other picture I could send a picture of me with the Dors (the black family from Haiti) when they were all dressed in white right before their baptism. Those are the only 2 pictures I can think of. I forgot to bring the Burton’s e-mail address, so I will try to bring it next week, but Mom if you could e-mail those pictures next week, that would be great. You can also look through my pictures and see if you can find any better ones to share. The Burtons also said they will send whatever they are making to all the parents too if you ask for it. I assume you do want one, so when you e-mail it you can just ask for it. I think I also have to write up a little summary of my mission too or something…I’ll figure that out later. Maybe I’ll just mail that home and you can type it up.

Ok…I have a couple more things written down. I went on 2 exchanges this last week. 1 of the exchanges I went to an area called Fresno, which covers part of Sugar Land and all that surrounding area. It is pretty difficult to find Hispanics there, but they have this one random part of their area that is away from everything else and it looks like the country side and there are a lot of Hispanics there. So we spent a lot of time there. It is pretty ghetto there though. Apparently there are problems with a lot of gangs there. There was graffiti all over EVERYthing. I guess the night before they went on a little rampage and graffitied all the road signs, walls, and some trailer homes (most people there live in trailers). The craziest part was when we were talking to one of their investigators and his older brother walked by and the investigator told us he was going to go fight someone down the street or something. He went to this one house where some pretty hardcore gangsters live. After talking to the investigator for a couple minutes we road back down the street and when we past the house with the hardcore gangsters we saw a couple of them outside getting ready to go to the fight or something and one of them was walking around with this big rifle and I didn’t stare over there long enough to see what other weapons they had, but it was pretty crazy. That is the first time I’ve actually seen a gun on my mission. I’ve heard several gunshots but I’ve never seen people holding guns. So that was my adventure there.

Then I went on exchanges with Elder Pedersen in another part of Houston. It was a good exchange. It definitely felt weird at first because the last time we were together he was pretty much training me. But we had a good exchange. He only has like 3 months on his mission now. I was happy to see that he had changed a couple things for the better and he is doing amazing things in the area hes at.

We are going to be having a baptism this Sunday! There is this one family who has been coming to church for a long time, but the parents cant get baptized because they are not married and they are living together. The husband still is technically married to someone down in Mexico, so they have to save up enough money to pay for the divorce, then get married to the lady he’s living with now. Unfortunately a lot of people are caught in this situation…they just don’t have enough money to pay for it all. There are 4 kids and 2 of them are old enough to get baptized. The younger of the 2 got baptized like 2 months ago, and the older one has been resisting it for whatever reason. Well it turns out he was afraid that he wouldn’t be able to “pass” the baptismal interview and he thought it was a test. We explained about that and we actually gave him all the baptismal interview questions. We had some good lessons with him, then after general conference he came up to me and said, hey I think I’m finally ready to get baptized, can I do it on Sunday? Haha…that’s what every missionary wants to hear. So he is going to be baptized on this upcoming Sunday.

We have been having a ton of success lately. We currently have 8 people with baptismal dates. We have seen a lot of miracles…it is exciting. We have several more who we are going to be extending dates too as well. At the start of this transfer, we had 11 baptismal dates in the zone. Our zone has 10 companionships. Now we have something like 36 baptismal dates in the zone. It’s been awesome to watch happen. Whenever a companionship gets a baptismal date they call us and tell us about it, so that we can hear the stories and also write it on a whiteboard and keep track of it. Its always fun to hear those stories. Missionaries have been putting the trainings into action and obviously have been seeing a lot of success.

Ok well I’m almost out of time, so I have to wrap it up. Next week I’ll have to write about how we extended a couple of our baptismal dates. I do have 1 other request though. There is a book called 1001 Pitfall in Spanish and one of the missionaries had it when I was on exchanges, so I studied out of it one day and it is a good book. It talks about all the really frequent mistakes people make when speaking Spanish. Most missionaries make tons of these little mistakes and I always notice the little things and I always wonder what the correct way to say things is. On the back of the book it said it was like 11 bucks or something, so I was wondering if I could get an early Christmas present and get this book. It is called Barron’s 1001 Pitfalls in Spanish. The one I was looking at said 3rd edition, but I don’t know if that makes a difference. I only want the book if it is cheap though. So if you can find it somewhere for cheap, I would absolutely love to have this book. It will answer the little questions about Spanish I’ve had over my whole mission.

Ok that is all for this week. This is a pretty long one. I hope you have a great week! I love you all!!!

Love,
Chase

No comments: